A worker is trapped underground at one of Newcrest Mining's operations.
The worker became stuck 300 metres underground after a "geotechnical" event at the Gosowong gold and silver mine in Indonesia.
The incident occurred in the Kencana part of Gosowong; the same area where two men were trapped underground for eight days in December 2010.
Newcrest said the geotechnical event happened around 8.30pm on Monday (Indonesian time).
The rest of the workers were evacuated, and it is unclear at this time whether the incident was caused by seismic activity or a fault in the mine.
Newcrest has not yet released the name nor nationality of the worker as it is still communicating with the worker's family and focusing on rescue work. "At this time our priority is to contact and rescue the trapped employee," said the company in a statement.
Newcrest said there had been damage to the mine, which was Newcrest's third most profitable mine during the 2015 financial year with $192 million of free cash flow.
All mining and processing at Gosowong have been suspended.
Gosowong was predicted to produce between 300,000 and 350,000 ounces of gold in the 2016 financial year, and it is unclear whether that guidance will be affected by the suspension.
The mine had produced about 141,000 ounces of gold in the six months to December 31 (2015), but that period was interrupted by works on the mill.
Newcrest owns 75 per cent of Gosowong in partnership with an Indonesian company.
The incident has not stopped Newcrest shares from rising 5.3 per cent on Tuesday morning (9 February 2016) in response to a rise in gold prices over the past 24 hours.
The 2010 incident saw two workers trapped down the Kencana part of Gosowong after mudstone slipped and blocked their path to the mine's exit.
The workers had been working on an excavator and loader when the slip occurred.
They were unharmed, and the company was able to send them food and water through holes drilled into the area.
They were rescued unharmed eight days later on December 27, 2010.