Managing Human and Organisational Factors in Safety
Preventing Disaster: Learning from Longford
Participants will acquire the essential background knowledge required to oversee the development and improvement of Process Safety Leadership within their organisation.
A 1-day intensive course to develop, improve and enhance knowledge of process safety organisational factors.
The course utilises the Preventing Disaster: Learning from Longford DVD featuring Professor Andrew Hopkins. It is based on his detailed analysis of the Longford gas explosion that resulted in the death of two workers and crippled Melbourne’s gas supply for two weeks, as outlined in Professor Hopkins’ ground-breaking book “Lessons from Longford: the Esso Plant Explosion”.
In this course, the eleven key contributory elements are examined and flagged in a generic way so that participants can apply the same approach to their own organisations.
The company attributed the accident to errors by operators, but this course shows how those errors were induced by a series of organisational factors, among them; inadequate hazard identification by the company, the failure of the incident reporting system which was focused exclusively on lost time injuries, poor auditing, chronic alarm flooding in the control room, inadequate change management, cost cutting, and the absence of engineers on site.
The course builds a causal diagram (an AcciMap), step by step, showing how the various factors are inter-related.
The Eleven Lessons:
- The Hazard Identification Factor
- The Corporate Safety Department Factor
- The Government Legislation Factor
- The Auditing Factor
- The Reporting Systems Factor
- The Lost Time Injury Frequency Factor
- The Technical Support Factor
- The Alarm System Factor
- The Management of Change Factor
- The Communication Between Shifts Factor
- The Maintenance Cost Cuts Factor
Key learning objectives
Upon completion of the course, participants will:
- Understand the key elements of a mindful organisation
- Be able to implement and apply the processes of a mindful organisation
- Have identified improvement areas for their own organisation
- Have developed an action plan for implementation in their own organisation.
Who will benefit?
Strategic decision makers including:
- Senior Executives, Managers and Engineers
- Senior Safety personnel
- Anyone who would like to develop an understanding of a mindful organisation
The course is structured to provide a learning environment through listening to Professor Hopkins on short video clips, as he discusses the key ways of creating a ‘mindful organisation’. At strategic points, the facilitator will engage participants in discussion and debate regarding the issues that arise which will then lead to identifying actions that need to be taken in their organisation.
The participant’s notes provided are formatted around the dialogue of Professor Hopkins from the video, and allow participants to record their response to the course activities. A summary of the key points of the dialogue is provided prior to each activity.
Development of the course
The course has been developed by FutureMedia in partnership with Professor Andrew Hopkins.
How is the course delivered?
The course runs for 1-day.
The course is designed for delivery to a single organisation and includes:
- Pre-course consultation. The course facilitator contacts the client in advance so as to determine client needs to be met during the facilitation.
- Post-course Action Plan. Participant’s action plans are collated by the facilitator and forwarded to the organisation’s coordinator.
All course facilitators are highly experienced HSE professionals whilst also being accredited workplace trainers and have been independently accredited by FutureMedia.
Preventing Disaster Learning from Longford
- Minimum course numbers 10. Maximum course numbers 15.
- The cost for facilitation includes the pre and post course consulting, as well as facilitating the course
- Reduced fees apply for multiple facilitations
- Transport and accommodation, if required, is additional
- GST is additional for Australian clients.
Contact us for more information and cost.