BBC Disaster Series
Spiral to Disaster: Piper Alpha training package
The tragic event of Piper Alpha occurred when this massive oil platform in the North Sea succumbed to explosion and fire, resulting in the loss of 167 lives.
18 April 2016 - Offshore union warns over 'Piper Alpha mistakes'
The oil industry is in danger of making the same mistakes it did in the years before the Piper Alpha disaster, an offshore union boss warns. Read more
DVD Price: $595.00*
Duration: 30 minutes
Formats Available: DVD | Internet Licence | Corporate Licence
This safety video training workshop utilizes a case study of the tragic event of the explosion and fire at the Piper Alpha oil platform. A disaster which could have been, if not totally adverted, dramatically changed in course without the horrible loss of human life.
The process safety video is a gripping drama/documentary that recreates the three hours of the tragedy. It provides the basis of discussion, analysis and training in a variety of OHS areas, including Risk Assessment, Permit to Work, Emergency Procedures, Safety Design and more.
- Oil, gas and offshore platform engineering
- Safety design issues
- Permit-to-work procedures
- Emergency procedures
- Safety and rescue systems – incl. equipment
- Management decision making – production output versus safety considerations
- Statutory policymaking (national and international law)
- Contractor and subcontractor issues
- Training and accreditation issues
- Handling and storage of dangerous goods
- Communication techniques
- Allocation of responsibility issues.
Available in the following languages:
Contents of the package:
Extensive support materials are supplied with the DVD on CD:
- Facilitator’s Guide, including Facilitator’s Checklist. The study guide contains a pre and post event analysis of the disaster
- Facilitator’s Slide Guide
- Participants’ Handouts and MS PowerPoint presentation.
- BBC Disaster Series:
- The 11-part BBC Disaster Series examines case studies of major disasters from around the world from various industries, such as oil and gas, transport, aviation, aeronautics and space, chemical manufacturing and hospitality.
Other DVDs in the Series:
Please contact FutureMedia for more information about quantity discounts.