BBC Disaster Series
King's Cross: Beneath the Flames training package
In the worst fire in London Transport's history, shows staff response and what safeguards should have been employed.
DVD Price: $595.00*
Duration: 30 minutes
Formats Available: DVD | Internet Licence | Corporate Licence
On 18 November, 1987, at approximately 7-30pm (1930 hours), a fire broke-out beneath escalator 4 (Piccadilly Line), at King’s Cross St. Pancras underground station. A series of oversights allowed the fire to grow until the smoke reached an explosive flash point, and a fireball occurred within the main ticketing hall.
"King’s Cross: Beneath the Flames", discusses this disastrous peak-hour fire in the London Underground railway, in which 31 people died and hundreds were injured - the worst fire in London Transport’s history.
In the aftermath (and with the privilege of hindsight), investigation revealed a host of comparatively small steps in the lead-up to the disaster.
Lack of training and inefficient fire fighting equipment were held as important catalysts to the disaster, as were senior management’s lack of attention to similar symptomatic occurrences within the whole of the underground complex.
This workshop shows staff response and what safeguards should be employed.
- Emergency procedures and their maintenance
- Safety and rescue systems and their maintenance
- Management decision making – operational costs vs. safety considerations
- Training issues
- Communication techniques.
- Allocation of responsibility issues
- Crowd control considerations
- TRIAGE planning.
- Safety design issues
Available in the following languages:
Contents of the package:
Extensive support materials are supplied with the DVD on CD:
- Facilitator’s Guide, including Facilitator’s Checklist. The study guide contains a pre and post event analysis of the disaster
- Facilitator’s Slide Guide
- Participants’ Handouts and MS PowerPoint presentation.
BBC Disaster Series:
The 11-part BBC Disaster Series examines case studies of major disasters from around the world from various industries, such as oil and gas, transport, aviation, aeronautics and space, chemical manufacturing and hospitalit
Other DVDs in the Series:
Please contact FutureMedia for more information about quantity discounts.